Saturday, November 10, 2007

Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio

Netflix delivered an amazingly well written and well acted movie to me today. Julianne Moore portrays Evelyn Ryan a woman from Defiance, Ohio that was quite the contest queen during the 1950's and 1960's. She was the mother of 10 children and used her writing wit to win contests that helped to support her family. I was struck by 2 things: 1) She was an incredible giving and nurturing mother 2) She believed in the dream and had the writing talent to realize those dreams.

It gave me a boost to believe that they only way to win anything (i.e. a book contract) is to put yourself out there and continually work at it. I've been entering little writing contest like the one that Parenting magazine had a couple months back. The topic was the best parenting advice you ever got. After seeing, this movie, I'm going to keep doing that.

It's a touching, fun movie. So add it to your list of must sees.

No comments: