Sunday, January 20, 2008

Jan. 19th: Happy Birthday Edgar Allan Poe

Today is the birthday of one of my favorite authors, Edgar Allan Poe. In my opinion, he was the first true mystery writer and I love how his stories have a rhythmic cadence to them.

I'll never forget my introduction to Poe. I was in the 7th grade and we read 'The Telltale Heart'. My English teacher was a gifted storyteller and read the story perfectly. She built up the tension and I was hooked.

It remains my favorite Poe story followed by "The Black Cat". Two years ago, I fortunate enough to visit his museum in Richmond, VA and it was really something to be in the same room with some of his actual manuscripts and letters. I got to see his desk and personal items.

One of my 'must do' trips is to go to Baltimore and do the Poe tour.

So Happy Birthday, Edgar!!!

No comments: