1. The study of fingerprints is called Dactylography
2. Fingerprints are identified using three patterns: whorls, loops, and arches.
3. No two fingerprints are alike even on identical twins.
4. Most commonly used forensic evidence worldwide
5. The AIST (Academy of Investigation Services & Training) offers a fingerprint identification course.
6. IAFIS (Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System) database is used by more than 20,000 agencies worldwide for the identification of fingerprints
7. Fingerprints are produced by the sweat and oil in your fingers
8. Normally, when you injure a finger, the same fingerprint pattern appears on the new skin. If you damage the inner skin layer, you may have a new fingerprint pattern.
9. Gangster John Dillinger tried removing his fingerprints but dipping his fingers in acid. It didn’t work
10. Fingerprints are the “pegs” that connect your outer skin to the inner skin layer