• Necrophagous are the insects that are found on corpses.
• Insects can disturb and affect the crime scene. They can walk through blood and leave tracks. They can ingest blood, and then leave deposits elsewhere.
• Insects found on a body may point to a specific location based on the natural habitat of the insect and the material they eat.
• You can determine time of death based on insect activity and life cycle stage
• Forensic entomology can be used in helping to solve criminal, civil, food contamination, and abuse cases.
• The use of forensic entomology was started in the 14th century in China
• In the novel, Silence of the Lambs, by Thomas Harris, the rare moths were one of the ways the FBI was able to find the serial killer
• Child killer, Kevin Neal, was convicted using forensic entomology
• Dr. Neal Haskell is one of the most renowned forensic entomologists and has participated in hundreds of trials.
• If you are a forensic entomologist, you can join NAFEA (North American Forensic Entomology Association.